TORONTO – A pit bull in Indianapolis is being hailed a hero after saving a boy from a house fire that destroyed his family’s home.
Nick Lamb, who was born legally deaf, told officials he wore cochlear implants and took them out to take a nap. The 13-year-old was resting in his bedroom on the second floor when the family dog, Ace, woke him up by licking his face.
‘Not a Bully’ campaign aims to show sweet side of pit bulls
“He woke me up because I couldn’t hear anything and I was asleep and I looked around my room and I smelled smoke and I could see a little bit of smoke in my room,” said Lamb in an interview with WNCN.
“I took a breath and I went downstairs with Ace and the whole house was covered in smoke and a little bit of fire.”
READ MORE: ‘Not a Bully’ campaign aims to show sweet side of pit bulls
The boy, whose mother and stepfather were at work, quickly covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt and exited the rear of the house.
Both Lamb and Ace made it out safely.
While not much is left of the home, Lamb’s stepfather James Bernard said the family has a lot more to be thankful for.
“I would have never seen this from him [Ace]. I didn’t see this coming,” he said. “He’s just like one of the family members basically.”
Investigators believe the fire may have started in the garage due to an electrical issue. Damages are estimated at about $175,000.